Rate these engines in order of superiority

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even now. There's a reason the new Rav4 Hybrids are sold out for the next 2 years.
What engine do they run with I must admit I havent looked / driven thier latest engines apart from Hilux and Prius , you really like the Rav ..

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What engine do they run with I must admit I havent looked / driven thier latest engines apart from Hilux and Prius , you really like the Rav ..
Nah, I test drove the Rav4 and didn't like it. It's a medium size SUV that's designed for women or small men.

But there's no denying the facts. Rav4 has been the best selling medium SUV for the last few years, and they're on back order for at least 18 months.

But Rav4's are stupidly popular because they're super efficient. Especially the Hybrids that run between 4.5L - 5.5L per 100kms. That's why they're so hard to get. Every business buys them up as work vehicles.

The only Toyota that outsells them is the Hilux, and only because it's more viable as a work vehicle.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, I test drove the Rav4 and didn't like it. It's a medium size SUV that's designed for women or small men.

But there's no denying the facts. Rav4 has been the best selling medium SUV for the last few years, and they're on back order for at least 18 months.

But Rav4's are stupidly popular because they're super efficient. Especially the Hybrids that run between 4.5L - 5.5L per 100kms. That's why they're so hard to get. Every business buys them up as work vehicles.

The only Toyota that outsells them is the Hilux, and only because it's more viable as a work vehicle.
When we the Prius it was a nice change to fill for $35. Rav 4 narrow? Head height leg room would be ok.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know specific engines, but you think Toyota motors would have to be the best overall.
Yep. If you're looking purely for quality and engineering, you can't beat Toyota. But if you want a ridiculously over powered sports car with an engine that will probably blow up in 5 years, then you need to look elsewhere.
Isuzu engines are pretty up there, they have one engine that has the highest durability and longevity that can be given lol

Also lets not forget Yamaha, they have designed and produced a few high quality engines for some of the big Japanese manufactures.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The best ICE motors are Isuzu and Mitsubishi, and by a fair margin.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kia have a big electric thing for sale now I think called an EV9 i saw it promoted during a racing carnival.
Is it as big as a Landcruiser not sure but its surely noticably bigger than midsized from what I saw and also aren't these things with lots of batteries heavy as??
They stated it hits 0-100 in under 4 seconds htf are these things so rapid? This electric bucket of bolts would hose my ute and post thrashing I would need counselling at least, maybe a noose ... :tearsofjoy:

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isuzu engines are pretty up there, they have one engine that has the highest durability and longevity that can be given lol

Also lets not forget Yamaha, they have designed and produced a few high quality engines for some of the big Japanese manufactures.
Been a while since i owned one but Yamaha considered one of the better 2 stroke marine engines.

Last edited:

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fuel injekshun VN 5.0 engine was a masterpiece, the VN itself well thats a different story.
Those VN 3.8 V6 came out with high aclaim quick off the mark for a family sedan but became breathless near 100 120 klm mark and many didnt last past the 100,000klms mark.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Those VN 3.8 V6 came out with high aclaim quick off the mark for a family sedan but became breathless near 100 120 klm mark and many didnt last past the 100,000klms mark.
Interesting.I had a manual 91 5sp model, admittedly it had a trick or two added but these things 30 years ago were still pretty punchy..and only weighed 1300kgs.
I also dont recall it getting tired at the speeds you mention at all.
Issues imo were(and mine was still humming no shit)were the 180kmh speed limiter and probably the handling which wasn't great.
Where your probably right is it had a small sump which was a real issue as I lunched my motor :(
I didn't change the oil and filter regularly enough and tbh i gave it a lot of shit..often lol
Good car though for the era, it smoked VL's and was quicker than the 5L too.A mate at that time had a comparable XF falcon 4.1(auto) and it couldn't get close.

Last edited:

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Kia have a big electric thing for sale now I think called an EV9 i saw it promoted during a racing carnival.
Is it as big as a Landcruiser not sure but its surely noticably bigger than midsized from what I saw and also aren't these things with lots of batteries heavy as??
They stated it hits 0-100 in under 4 seconds htf are these things so rapid? This electric bucket of bolts would hose my ute and post thrashing I would need counselling at least, maybe a noose ... :tearsofjoy:
It is that instantaneous torque that electric motors give which is pretty insane!

Interesting.I had a manual 91 5sp model, admittedly it had a trick or two added but these things 30 years ago were still pretty punchy..and only weighed 1300kgs.
Issues imo were(and mine was still humming no shit)were the 180kmh speed limiter and probably the handling which wasn't great.
Where your probably right is it had a small sump which was a real issue as I lunched my motor :(
I didn't change the oil and filter regularly enough and tbh i gave it a lot of shit..often lol
Good car though for the era, it smoked VL's and was quicker than the 5L too.A.mate at that time had a comparable XF falcon 4.1(auto) and it couldn't get close.
How did it line up against the all conquering Godzilla of the era haha? The BNR32 has a super soft spot in my heart

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good car though for the era, it smoked VL's and was quicker than the 5L too.A mate at that time had a comparable XF falcon 4.1(auto) and it couldn't get close.
Mine was a VR auto maybe being a hoon i expected it to go hard from 100 k up as it from 0 to 100 lol long time ago now i remember the saying it went like the "powers of piss after 4 schooners" the cops loved em.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is that instantaneous torque that electric motors give which is pretty insane!

How did it line up against the all conquering Godzilla of the era haha? The BNR32 has a super soft spot in my heart
Not too well at all I'd imagine I nearly always picked my right mark brother lol
Not saying they have all been great VT for example but bar one venture to the Magna side I've always bought holdens haha.Gemini my first buy in 1981/82.
My mother true story would not let me buy a powerful car eg a V8 when I was young rest her soul :tearsofjoy:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mine was a VR auto maybe being a hoon i expected it to go hard from 100 k up as it from 0 to 100 lol long time ago now i remember the saying it went like the "powers of piss after 4 schooners" the cops loved em.
Fun times my friend hey idk how I kept a licence tbh lol

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too well at all I'd imagine I nearly always picked my right mark brother lol
Not saying they have all been great VT for example but bar one venture to the Magna side I've always bought holdens haha.Gemini my first buy in 1981/82.
My mother true story would not let me buy a powerful car eg a V8 when I was young rest her soul :tearsofjoy:
The Gemini wasnt the diesel was it, ha werent they a stroke of genius the back end of car was black after a 1000klm just what retired lady wanted. Lol

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Gemini wasnt the diesel was it, ha werent they a stroke of genius the back end of car was black after a 1000klm just what retired lady wanted. Lol
Funny you mention that no shit my fairly elderly and literally direct neighbour at the time had a green diesel model lmao he was a high up retired David Jones manager(dunno if you remember those semi posh stores).
I bought mine new at 16(non diesel)before I had my P's and I used to do little burnouts on the front lawn lol
Good little car it did 175 flat out down Appin Rd on the way to Wollongong with a tailwind i remember haha
There was also a "jump" on the way back you needed to hit this rise at 140 or so to get a little air lol
I had a big side to front on collision in it early on, was driving to work in the city and wrote it off.Shunted this other car with idk less than 2 seconds reaction time and i hit him flush at 60+ as he turned blind in front of me, at best i touched the brakes before impact.
Bought another one out of the insurance payout(other nuffy got booked for neg driving).

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you mention that no shit my fairly elderly and literally direct neighbour at the time had a green diesel model lmao he was a high up retired David Jones manager(dunno if you remember those semi posh stores).
I bought mine new at 16(non diesel)before I had my P's and I used to do little burnouts on the front lawn lol
Good little car it did 175 flat out down Appin Rd on the way to Wollongong with a tailwind i remember haha
There was also a "jump" on the way back you needed to hit this rise at 140 or so to get a little air lol
I had a big side to front on collision in it early on, was driving to work in the city and wrote it off.Shunted this other car with idk less than 2 seconds reaction time and i hit him flush at 60+ as he turned blind in front of me, at best i touched the brakes before impact.
Bought another one out of the insurance payout(other nuffy got booked for neg driving).
Remember Appin road used to drive reguarly to work in the Gong and Kiama lucky you werent seriously injured in that accident it is a road that people put thier foot down particularly back in 80 90s no cops was quiet rd.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When we the Prius it was a nice change to fill for $35. Rav 4 narrow? Head height leg room would be ok.
Nah, pretty wide. Good leg room, good head room. Just that the driver seat doesn't feel comfortable for someone 6'3", and the passenger seat is oddly raised. It still has head room but it feels like one bump and you'll go through the roof.