Luke Thompson consolidated thread

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He should be doing a lot more for the club at his pay rate mate. This is all got to do with him taking a pay cut for the betterment of the club. He wants to stay I suggest he accepts it.
He hasn’t been asked to renegotiate his contract and I am not in the know about what’s happening with any of the other players

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah could be seen as that but it is good business if you ask me. Most will realise they aren’t worth the coin and will cave in, I can assure you that.
They don't need to cave in though, they can just sit in reserve grade and cop their full salary like Eastwood did.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You said before mate that he left St Helens when he was asked to take a pay cut....so its not likely here really?

You "Liked" a post above mentioning pounds ..not dollars...whats that amount about mate.
Ive just returned back from Portugal and I accidentally chose the euro sign instead of the dollar sign and the amount was quickly calculated back into dollars

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Luke is on $725k fact !, next year €750k, it’s not his agent that has put him in the shop window and chasing more money or a longer deal, it’s your shithouse club that has done that, Luke wants to stay and honour his contract
There are 5 NRL clubs waiting that he can walk straight into, if I was Luke I’d f..k the dogs right off and leave us all too it !!
You turned on the dogs pretty quick

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can confirm that over 5 players currently at the club are being told to take lower salaries (what they are worth), if they don’t accept the club has said get your value on the market. If players just want to be at our proud club for overs they CAN FUCK OFF
Can you name the players? We know Wakeham is one and I assume Flanno is another and I hope to God Elliot and Allen are on that list.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So there's obviously some smoke with this one but I'm in 2 minds. Thompson is our best player and it's through no fault of his own that he's being paid what he is. I have no doubt Gus has looked at our books and realized the cap is completely unbalanced and if we're legitimately going to be competitive we need to invest more in the spine. Imagine the Storm paying that much for a forward? Wouldn't happen.

Having said that I would be shopping so many other players before Thompson but who knows how his contract is structured. It could be causing us all sorts of issues. I keep thinking about that line from Gus 'There's not much from the past we should be holding onto' and the cold hard facts are that he's right. Things are so bad at the moment it's becoming more and more clear that we have to literally blow the whole thing up and start again. If that's what Gus needs to do I can live with it. I'm a big fan of Thompson but in our current plight no player is indispensable. And hypothetically if the choice is between risking losing a player like Burton after his deal expires vs holding onto a bad deal regardless of the player, then the choice is pretty obvious to me.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What a fucking **** of a manager. We bend over to bring him over early during the pandemic, make sure he's settled in, and be a massive part of the playing group and club. He then eye gouges to end season 2020, already putting himself on the back foot for 2021, and has had got himself binned and suspended multiple times now. Not only does his lack of availability impact the team when he's suspended, but the 10 minutes he sits in the bin ended up being the deciding factor in the games themselves (E.g. Cronulla game).

I highly doubt we would genuinely entertain shopping him around. He's free to a new home if he has no intention of extending with us post 2023. Until then, shut the fuck up with this noise in the media.

The Dog House

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Thompson is unhappy at the club is straight up wrong. He’s said multiple times he’s keen at staying at the club, and if these reports are true, reportedly on the Tigers forum, he’s ‘filthy’ that he could be leaving the club. If we’re smart, we won’t release him and pay 350k of his contract till the end of 2023

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So there's obviously some smoke with this one but I'm in 2 minds. Thompson is our best player and it's through no fault of his own that he's being paid what he is. I have no doubt Gus has looked at our books and realized the cap is completely unbalanced and if we're legitimately going to be competitive we need to invest more in the spine. Imagine the Storm paying that much for a forward? Wouldn't happen.

Having said that I would be shopping so many other players before Thompson but who knows how his contract is structured. It could be causing us all sorts of issues. I keep thinking about that line from Gus 'There's not much from the past we should be holding onto' and the cold hard facts are that he's right. Things are so bad at the moment it's becoming more and more clear that we have to literally blow the whole thing up and start again. If that's what Gus needs to do I can live with it. I'm a big fan of Thompson but in our current plight no player is indispensable. And hypothetically if the choice is between risking losing a player like Burton after his deal expires vs holding onto a bad deal regardless of the player, then the choice is pretty obvious to me.
No player is indispensable if we're signing Brandon Smith.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whatever happens there will be NO paying of any 350k LOL
Fuck he would go well at the Storm, at lock.....they wouldn't pay that much freight though.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

That is exactly what’s happening !, no agent pushing for more money or extensions etc etc

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There’s an old saying that “Sometimes you have to shoot a monkey to scare the chickens..”

If Gus is willing to shop Thommo around then nobody is safe, no one. There is nothing wrong with our cap it’s just smart business to go from being a desperado willing to pay overs to being like we were when we ruled the roost.

I wouldn’t be surprised if even Jacko is one of the players asked to discuss money. The more we free up the more we have to attract the Smiths and Ponga’s to us.

Gould never does anything just for fun, there is always something behind it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ive just returned back from Portugal and I accidentally chose the euro sign instead of the dollar sign and the amount was quickly calculated back into dollars
Thanks for clearing that up lol :grinning:

Reactions: ATT

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
725 I reckon for Thommo is about right but I've heard he is on near 900k. I think there is more upside in a bloke like Fotuaika so if we can offload Thommo without having to pay any freight, and get Fotuaika for 700k then its good business.

We can all have an opinion but just know Gus has been in the situation of managing a cap more than all of us so have some faith in the bloke.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
This sucker punch from his manager would have worked three months ago, we would have shit the bed and fucked our cap for the next five years, but he has got fuck all chance of getting 850k out of gus for a middle forward. I love thommo but I love the club more. Tell your mercenary manager to STFU Luke, be part of the solution not the problem, because this club will turn around with or without you. I hope you stay but the days of the club being fucked in the ass by player managers and the admin letting it happen are over. So happy Gus is at this club.