Back 5

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not sure the year, but we had (basically SBW instead of Harris)
1. Patten
2. El Masri
3. SBW
4. Tonga
5. Utai
Very special backline

1991 we had a potent backline:
1.Ewan McGrady
2. Jonathan Davies
3. Darren Smith
4. Jarrod McCracken
5. Matt Ryan

1995 was pretty special too:
1. Rod Silva
2. Jason Williams
3. John Timu
4. Matt Ryan
5. Daryl Halligan
91 was a sensational backline considering Matt Ryan was the least decorated in that backline and he was a top class player and I think one of our best centre wingers of the last 50 years.
Watch the highlights of Davies on youtube and it's staggering how quick and great he was - he looks like Turvey as well and he burnt Mullins in a test match in that memorable try.
From the mid 70's until today the most brilliant and exciting attacking Dogs players I've seen are Turvey, Davies, McGrady and Barba. Those players were lightning quick and could score from anywhere.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Mick Potter
2. Steve O'Brien
3. Chris Mortimer
4. Andrew Farrar
5. Peter Mortimer
6. Terry Lamb
7. Steve Mortimer

That 1984 GF winning side was pretty potent as well.
Mortimer and Lamb - I think the greatest halves combination in terms of strike rate statistically over the last 50 years. Played 5 years together, the team made 4 GF and won 3 premierships - 80% GF appearance, 60% GF win over their time together.
By comparison Sterlo and Kenny played 13 years together, made 5 GF and won 4 premierships - 38% GF appearance, 31% GF win. So it took them another 8 years to get that extra premiership.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Always exception to the rule,
Just generalising how wingers have evolved over the years in general.
True but Broncs had Sailor and Tuquiri as a combo back in 2000 and they both smashed it for them.. thought that trend would happen ages ago but seen heaps of smaller wingers since

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think biggest difference this year isn't so much our best back 5, but rather the depth we have to cover the whole backline. No matter the injury/form scenarios, we've got coverage and first grade level options that we've not seen in a decade.

Fullback: Tracey, Taaffe, Crichton all experienced with training reps under their belt. Could also argue Papalii ready to go with Kiraz there if all else fails.

Wing: Addo-Car and Kiraz as first choice, with Wilson, Tracey and Skelton all there as backup ready to go and just as capable.

Centre: Crichton, Xerri, Kiraz all top level options, with the likes of Tracey, Salmon and Mann there to cover if necessary.

Everyone laughed at our Utility signings, but it's done wonders to our depth and coverage both in the backs and forwards.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is this the best back 5 we've had on the park at once in the NRL era?

Yep, big call, and early days.

We've had plenty of individual stars at different times, however cant recall a superior 5 to current.
Nothing beats 2014 backline (sarcasm)

1. Perret
2. Corey Thompson
3. Tim Lafai
4. Jmoz
5. Mitch brown

Crazy we made the grand final

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turvey/Baa, Polla-Mounter/Baa, and Shifty/Braith, were all way ahead of Hutch/Burto. Those other backlines were great but if we get a half who can really unlock them, this lot will be better IMO. Burto is starting to find something but we're short of a half to see how good they can really be. Hutch doesn't seem to trust them and needs a rocket.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2004 roster was almost unbeatable. Haz and Utai might struggle to establish themselves in today's game I think. But back then before every winger had to be 100ish kg or an absolute freakish athlete if they're smaller they were awesome. End of the era with small wingers when they were getting about.
We were also the last team to actively change with the times. Remember in 06, 07 and even 09 we had a strange obsession with small wingers and we consistently got exposed by any half decent halfback.

Melbourne really started that trend tbh, with Inglis and Folau on their wings and they went absolutely insane.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We were also the last team to actively change with the times. Remember in 06, 07 and even 09 we had a strange obsession with small wingers and we consistently got exposed by any half decent halfback.

Melbourne really started that trend tbh, with Inglis and Folau on their wings and they went absolutely insane.
After watching Coates this year I think every side is going to end up with an AFL Marking/kicking coach on staff for their back three.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Some underrated Back 5:

1999 -

1714113590393.png

2001 -

1714113634268.png

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do like our current back 5

2012 was a good back 5 too some workers mixed with X factor
1. Barba
2. Wright
3. J Moz
4. Inu
5. Perrett
This was fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Patten i still think is one of the best ever fullbacks to not play AU/Origin and that was because the teams were so stacked with talented FBs back then
Sherwin was probably the best 7 to not play origin or international football as well during the same era.