Opinion NRL Round 9 Notepad: Defending Canterbury’s improving left edge

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Defending the Bulldogs left edge

We’ve mentioned the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs improving attack a few times already to begin the 2024 NRL regular season. They’re finding different ways to use Viliame Kikau on the left edge, either in a try scoring action or as the catalyst for points a few tackles earlier.

And so the game of rugby league cat-and-mouse begins.

While the Bulldogs tinker with a winning plan in attack, defending teams are already looking for ways to nullify Canterbury’s strike left edge.

In NRL Round 7, Newcastle showed their hand early to work hard from the inside and cut down Matt Burton’s time on the ball:

Dylan Lucas always knew Burton was his assignment here and gets a constant reminder from Tyson Gamble who points his backrower at the Bulldogs five-eighth. Some good support from Leo Thompson then covers Lucas’ inside when Burton turns it back underneath to Jacob Kiraz.

Here’s Gamble again pointing Lucas to get at Burton’s inside shoulder:

The Knights backrower not only cuts down Burton’s time to ballplay here but also crowds Kikau as an option cutting back against the grain.

The other benefit of Lucas working hard from the inside was how it released his outside men; Gamble and Enari Tuala were repeatedly allowed to slide early and get their bodies in front, one channel wider:

Now here’s where the cat-and-mouse games get really good.

The best evidence of Canterbury’s improvements this season is how they responded to what the Knights were doing off the ball in NRL Round 7. As fatigue set in and Newcastle’s linespeed and inside support faded, the Bulldogs adjusted to play a little more direct:

And in good-ball they set up wider on the right post to engage the defence through the middle before passing to Burton on the edge; just look at the space Canterbury create for Burton here:

It’s Brodie Jones in for Lucas and he doesn’t release his edge defenders like Lucas did in the previous examples. Holding too long on Josh Curran’s lead decoy, Jones can’t recover quickly enough to get at Burton’s inside shoulder.

With all the time in the world to sum things up, Burton pulls the Knights centre and winger in towards the ball before linking with Connor Tracey to put Josh Addo-Carr over in the corner.

I’m curious to see how Benji Marshall instructs his players to contain Canterbury’s left edge attack in NRL Round 9.

It’s impossible to know exactly where the Bulldogs points will be scored but Wests will be confident in where those scoring actions might begin. If the Tigers can nullify Kikau and limit the havoc and ruck speed he generates on that left edge, it will go a long way to containing the Bulldogs attack as a whole.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest, the tigers did a great job nullify our left side attack for a big portion of the game.
It's up to us to use our left edge sparingly.

Use our left side later in games when line speed and fatigue sets in.
Early in games teams are expecting us to attack that side and are set up for it.
I think we need a plan that imply we are set up to attack the left.
But cut back inside to exploit unsuspecting defence in the middle.
I think we go too much, side to side, then hit up nothing play then cross field kick or run on the last in desperation.
I think we should use the threat of our so called lethal left edge as a weapon of deception.

Then pull the trigger on our left edge once the defence is in 2 minds and not set up to nullify it.
I really think we need to work on shaping left, and attacking back on the inside,

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's a nicely put together article with some really helping GIFs to go with it. The Telegraph and Herald could learn a thing or two from that.

Regarding the Tigers, I've become a Marshall believer and I think he's one of the smarter coaches in the game. Talent and fitness is what cost them in the end, otherwise their structure in both attack and defence was better and smarter.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's a nicely put together article with some really helping GIFs to go with it. The Telegraph and Herald could learn a thing or two from that.

Regarding the Tigers, I've become a Marshall believer and I think he's one of the smarter coaches in the game. Talent and fitness is what cost them in the end, otherwise their structure in both attack and defence was better and smarter.
If I ever coached at NRL level I would be similar to Benji, in that, early practices so I can play golf 3 times a week !

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I don't think you giving our coach enough credit.
I actually think we are developing extremely good defensive and attacking structures, and all based around the ability of the players at his disposal.
Can't ask for more than that.
Clearly we need a halfback.
I'm pretty sure if we had a quality halfback we would have different attacking structures and ends to our sets.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They targeted our left side in d bigtime they’ve clearly saw a weakness in videos

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They targeted our left side in d bigtime they’ve clearly saw a weakness in videos
I think they were trying to fatigue Kikau by making him tackle. Marshall said it in his pre-game interview

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed them shifting right trying to fatigue the boys on that left edge to nullify the attack. Meant we played down the right, but to be fair even our right edge is solid. The class shone through in the end with the left edge coming into it. Fitness also played a factor.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Left edge was pretty shit in defense yesterday. Xerri makes some bad reads in defense quite often and Fox is also shit in defense with arm grabbing