Resilience

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From my perspective a lot of us fans became accustomed to the never ending cycle over the years, amateur ridden sides with contract milkers and no sense of direction from the top. Felt detached from the club, in disillusion early on in the season knowing it’s likely a write of. Truth is all eras come to an end, including the blatant disrespect from the media being acceptable and being shit on by pretenders.

Been saying for a while Gus is the only person in the footy scene who could’ve rejuvenated the club. The youth excelling is a guarantee with Gus, making the marquee moves we have is a notable statement. His best move might wound up being the appointment of Ciraldo, simply attributed down to the fact I don’t think any coach pertains the willpower his displayed to indent the do or die mindset they’re bleeding.

His integrated resilliance into the minds of the side. Previous sides would be dished up after that first 10, often if we survived the first 30 or so fitness or lousy defence would kill us eventually. We’ve lost 4, but no one’s out worked us or looked fitter. 1 missed tackle cost us at Melbourne the margins are tighter than ever with this crop. Our fitness, comradery between the players to keep turning up all game with King and fresh youngster Hughes carrying the whole front row against these huge packs is remarkable. Hutchinson at halfback ranks 16-17th in the comp, no intended disrespect more venturing towards the input we’re missing others get.

Ciraldos proving he is more than a defence guru, displaying what the likes of Bennet can do mentoring players. All those brains yet his at an even level with the playing squad, handles the media exceptionally and is a hard ass competitor at heart which I’ve come to see. Long season ahead irrelevant of if we make the 8 or not which is funny to say, Ciraldo is taking us to a premiership i’m convinced.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s not forget that players want to play under Ciraldo and this is a key factor in bringing some of the players we have to the club, and potentially keeping them in future. Everyone said we overpaid Kikau and Crichton. They are worth every cent and some. We have the talent coming through in the lower grades now too. I’m convinced we’ve turned the corner. This year might be a stretch; I think we can make the top 8 and maybe even knock off a team or 2, but in the next couple of years we will be right back in the mix under Ciro.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On Ciro, we need to remember in his first year, he came over to the club earlier than he needed to and most players were hand picked by T-Baz. Add the very important point around the injury crisis we suffered, some impact around origin and the fact that it’s clear to us now he had players who weren’t willing to put in the work or cop the medicine for ill discipline.

I still find his bench rotations unusual, but he’s got these guys ultra fit and it seems like the rotations aren’t an issue.

The whole club is seeing success now, it’s been a master stroke by Gus and Ciro in particular, but Travis Tauma, Jason Taylor and Luke Vella have made a mark this season…

Ciro’s our man, hope he’s In the Bellamy mould whereby he lives and breathes the club for decades.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great post. There’s just a sense every week that we’re going to be competitive until the end, even when we let in some points early. The fact that after 9 rounds we are sitting in eight position on the ladder with a +25 points differential (comparable to Brisbane and Manly and not far off Penrith and Melbourne!) says it all and we are miles ahead of previous seasons and to be honest where we all thought we’d be this year.

With NSW Cup going so well and Todd/Papalii/O’Neill banging on the door, plus all the pathways stuff Gus is doing, it’s hard to imagine us not anchored up the top of the table in a couple of seasons if not sooner.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We are one of three sides in the comp that play for the full 80 mins regardless of the score board. We don’t fade in and out of games like the majority of sides, even when our football isn’t the best and we are behind on the scoreboard they keep turning up, We will get beaten by sides like Melbourne and Penrith but it won’t be on effort it will be by the difference in class in the rosters. I really don’t know how he’s turned it around that Quickly. IF we keep playing the way we are we are going to take some big scalps after the origin period. Good times are here.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We are one of three sides in the comp that play for the full 80 mins regardless of the score board. We don’t fade in and out of games like the majority of sides, even when our football isn’t the best and we are behind on the scoreboard they keep turning up, We will get beaten by sides like Melbourne and Penrith but it won’t be on effort it will be by the difference in class in the rosters. I really don’t know how he’s turned it around that Quickly. IF we keep playing the way we are we are going to take some big scalps after the origin period. Good times are here.
It’s gotta be our recruitment right? I doubt Ciraldo has changed anything about his systems or coaching, but we went after experienced players who either come from great teams (Crichton) or who stood out in poor teams (Mann). I can totally see someone like Mann just going about his business at training without saying much but leading by example and making sure all the stragglers are putting in the effort. And Critta is just the perfect captain for us, who’s going to challenge or not listen to one of the most elite players in the comp, coming off three rings, and who chose to come here knowing it wouldn’t be instant success?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s gotta be our recruitment right? I doubt Ciraldo has changed anything about his systems or coaching, but we went after experienced players who either come from great teams (Crichton) or who stood out in poor teams (Mann). I can totally see someone like Mann just going about his business at training without saying much but leading by example and making sure all the stragglers are putting in the effort. And Critta is just the perfect captain for us, who’s going to challenge or not listen to one of the most elite players in the comp, coming off three rings, and who chose to come here knowing it wouldn’t be instant success?
100% but the key to it all was Critta, he wasn’t recruited to play a particular position he was recruited to play a roll and communicate Ciraldos expectations and standards to the rest of the side. It couldn’t have worked any better, and is by far the best 800k we have spent on a player in the last decade. You build champion teams around men like Critta, Bennett has been doing it for 30 years. Ciraldo is a lot smarter than people give him credit for IMO

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tell ya what else we are... Up there with the most consistent teams in the comp next to Melbourne and Sharks.

Could have beat both those teams too on a different day.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve now become accustomed to - new attitudes, paying for one another and heart for the jersey, never giving up and competing for the full 80 even when things are going against us. And of course our coach, he’s definitely taking this team to a new era and moving with the times. Never thought I would be saying this or seeing this again, 2024 has been a great progression and the start of new hope. Happy days after the last 10 yrs of rubbish.

Lex

Waterboy
Reaction score
If we based an opinion on that logic every player to ever play the game is shit.
I was merely asking whether you watched him yesterday. But I can extend that to the past five years if that’s better? How many prelims has he taken the dragons to? I’m not saying he’s a ‘shit’ player, he’s tenacious and obviously quality. But I don’t see any evidence that you could plug him into our team and he would get us to a prelim. He’s also on the decline now. We have better options within.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah exactly some people suggesting the coaching changes is what has resulted in the change of our attitude don't get it. Everyone of those players let go/ no longer with the club did not buy in... Yes we have players coming to the club because they want to play under Ciro. But the big point is with all the talk about the hard work ethos, if they do come to play under him they will also be committed. No one will be coming to our team that want an easy ride. When we have been successful in the past it has not been when we make up half of the origin team. We are successful when we are a champion team, not a team of champions. Last time we won the premiership we had 3 in NSW and 2 in Qld and none of them were spine players. Prop - O'Meley, 2nd Row - Andrew Ryan, Interchange - Willie Mason. and Qld Centre - Willie Tonga , Prop - Steve Price.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was merely asking whether you watched him yesterday. But I can extend that to the past five years if that’s better? How many prelims has he taken the dragons to? I’m not saying he’s a ‘shit’ player, he’s tenacious and obviously quality. But I don’t see any evidence that you could plug him into our team and he would get us to a prelim. He’s also on the decline now. We have better options within.
@CrittaMagic69 can u get this for me please... reckons Ben Hunt ain't a good option for a couple at the dogs.

Lex

Waterboy
Reaction score
@CrittaMagic69 can u get this for me please... reckons Ben Hunt ain't a good option for a couple at the dogs.
Say what you want (or get someone else to say it for you!), but my wife is (unfortunately) a Dragons supporter and I’ve watched Hunt closely for a long time. He isn’t it.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Say what you want (or get someone else to say it for you!), but my wife is (unfortunately) a Dragons supporter and I’ve watched him closely for a long time. He isn’t it.
All we need is a genuine experienced HB who isn't injury prone and can do a year or two at the dogs until the kids come through.

We ain't getting DCE and Hunt is the next best option before Chad Townsend.

I understand he isn't killing it at the dragons but he has literally been carrying that team since he got there, can u imagine him at the dogs with our strike power and culture now?

More Importantly he can drill the kids coming through too..

Lex

Waterboy
Reaction score
All we need is a genuine experienced HB who isn't injury prone and can do a year or two at the dogs until the kids come through.

We ain't getting DCE and Hunt is the next best option before Chad Townsend.

I understand he isn't killing it at the dragons but he has literally been carrying that team since he got there, can u imagine him at the dogs with our strike power and culture now?

More Importantly he can drill the kids coming through too..
Yeah I get where you’re coming from, mate. The experienced halfback route is a fair option. I also agree with your point about durability. But there is a fine line between helping the kids come through and blocking their path. Are our kids ready? Definitely not. We’re in a tricky spot. But I’m looking forward to seeing them figure it out.