New sponsor says Dogs have turned corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NEW Bulldogs sponsor Gary Johnston, head of Jaycar Electrical, wants to set the secord straight. "I used to hate Canterbury - absolutely hate 'em," he declared.
"In fact, I've only ever been to Belmore twice in my life."

A rabid Wests supporter, Johnston didn't want to see anything of his cross-town foes aside from their name on the wrong end of the scoreboard. Yet now this self-made millionare has paid $500,000 to have Jaycar splashed across a Bulldogs jersey - and will fly to Brisbane in his private jet to witness its on-field debut tonight.

"I wouldn't say I've grown to like them, but I can't help but respect them," Johnston says. "What the Bulldogs have done over the past year to turn themselves around, on and off the field, has been very impressive.

"They've gotten rid of the idiots and are running first despite being robbed of two points by that dud call against the Dragons a couple of weeks ago."

It was while watching that very game on television a few Friday nights ago that Johnston decided to join the Bulldogs bandwagon. He noticed a charity - Camp Quality - occupying the front of their jersey and wondered: "How much are they paying for that?"

"I thought there might be an opportunity for Jaycar to get on board with a club that was clearly going places," Johnston added.

"We are a big company but no one knows who we are. Like **** Smith, we are a bit nerdy and sell gadgets. But unlike them, we don't have **** Smith to jump out from icebergs to boost our profile."

Johnston is supremely confident the Bulldogs have enough tricks up their sleeve to compensate.

He has signed on until the end of this season, but will face competition from much bigger companies that were circling should the club continue its upward surge.

The deal came together over the past fortnight, with Johnston and Bulldogs chairman George Peponis striking a verbal agreement over $12 steaks at the Woolwich Pier Hotel.

The pair have been close mates for years, and Peponis even invited Johnston into the Bulldogs box at ANZ Stadium to cheer on Wests last season.

"We thrashed them as well and I remember George saying, 'You've eaten my pies, drank my piss and now you've taken the two points as well'," Johnston said.

"He had always been trying to get me on the Road to Damascus and convert me into a Dogs fan.

"I say never - I'm a Wests fan through and through.

"But I am a businessman first and from that perspective you can't help but admire what the Bulldogs have done."

After last month losing a $2 million, three-year deal with the Strathfield Group because of an intellectual property dispute with the NRL, Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg is finally breathing easier.

"Finding sponsors in this economic climate has been tough - and that's before we even talk about all the hits the game has been taking," Greenberg said.

Johnston, however, takes a different view.

A year ago - with the Bulldogs down and out - he says he wouldn't have touched them for quids.

"But now they represent the way forward for rugby league - and I want my company to be involved in that," Johnston said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25623866-5006066,00.html

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
lol "i wouldnt say i like the dogs"

bahahhaa!!! THANKS SPONSOR!!!!

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome aboard Jaycar I'm quietly confident MrJohnston won't be disappointed

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
at least he is telling the truth which is always good, unlike the crap they always say.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
"They've gotten rid of the idiots and are running first despite being robbed of two points by that dud call against the Dragons a couple of weeks ago."
Finally some1 with guts and calls them idiots!!!! Cuz thats what they are. "Troublemakers is a weak term"

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
lol i iz getting the jersey again next year with the new logo *woot*

i should have a dozen jersies then tehehe

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats awesome. To get a sponsor from a guy who does not even like the dogs is a huge wrap to everyone involved. There is no way I would be throwing my money to any other club but the Dogs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He sounds like a good, honest and realistic bloke and it's great to have people like that willing to invest in the club and in turn make more money for themselves because of the massive exposure this club gives them.

Funny that he is an old Wests fan. The poor Magpies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
that home jersey looks good actually...:(

lol when was the last time we played in it? i cant even remember

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
$500,000 for a 1 year deal, not bad.

And the home jersey looks awesome!

BM-dog

Tough person
Reaction score
"We are a big company but no one knows who we are. Like **** Smith, we are a bit nerdy and sell gadgets. But unlike them, we don't have **** Smith to jump out from icebergs to boost our profile."
hot tip, gary: **** smith also uses this cutting-edge marketing technique called advertising. i'd recommend looking into it.

also, i can't believe this guy has a private plane. is jaycar really that rich? he seems cool though.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seems pretty down to earth, looking forward to the Jaycar Bulldogs hammering the Tigers in round 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.