What will Rugby League look in a couple of years from now with more focus on head injuries?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I ead that some stakeholders in the game are pushing for the ban of the conventional kick-off to limit the risk of concussion. Whilst player welfare is paramount, it's hard for me imagine the game without the iconic kick-off return which is unmatched by any other sport. Can you imagine the excitement of Origin starting off with a play-the-ball? Or in a GF? The iconic kick-off is like lifting the lid off the pressure cooker after all the pre-game build up and excitement.
I think the game is going to be very different a decade from now, they'll probably just outright ban any tackling above the shoulder.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The year is 2034.

The NRL is now a zero contact sport.

Player stats are no longer kept because it could be damaging to the mental health of skill challenged players. In lieu of stats players pronouns are displayed during games.

Parramatta have still not won another premiership.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know this...rubbing out the kick off is a dicey move.
What then aerial challenges, tackles....it's a contact sport FFS.
What about if a player gets his head in the wrong position ?

Of course you gotta ban illegal stuff like lashing out with boots,the Milne incident, gong in with the knees or elbows.
But head knocks like a lazy arm aren't with intent same as a player falling into a tackle.

We need to get real and stop trying to put them in cotton wool.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I ead that some stakeholders in the game are pushing for the ban of the conventional kick-off to limit the risk of concussion. Whilst player welfare is paramount, it's hard for me imagine the game without the iconic kick-off return which is unmatched by any other sport. Can you imagine the excitement of Origin starting off with a play-the-ball? Or in a GF? The iconic kick-off is like lifting the lid off the pressure cooker after all the pre-game build up and excitement.
I think the game is going to be very different a decade from now, they'll probably just outright ban any tackling above the shoulder.
Whileever we have an ARL Commision comprised of people who have never played the game or been involved in club admin at NRL level, who knows what rule changes will be made.

No doubt the business people on the ARLC are well meaning, but I have been saying for years the balance is way out. An ex referee, ex coach and ex club ceo could provide a much better insight as to how the game should be played than someone who has never played It.

Personally I think the game was better in the 1990’s. When the 10 metre rule was introduced, it offered more room for players to move, but it also means the collisions are much harder now. The other quite noticeable thing is that many modern first graders can’t tackle properly. How often do you see a player attempt a front on tackle aiming at the hips of the ball carrier and put his head in the wrong place? I.E. not to one side.

With the dominant tackle so important these days it leads to 3 man tackles where it can easily go wrong but teams do it because they get more latitude before having to release the tackle.

I have believed for a long time that the dominant tackle should be a legs tackle, like we used to see one of our all time greats (Turvey), make numerous times.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Whileever we have an ARL Commision comprised of people who have never played the game or been involved in club admin at NRL level, who knows what rule changes will be made.

No doubt the business people on the ARLC are well meaning, but I have been saying for years the balance is way out. An ex referee, ex coach and ex club ceo could provide a much better insight as to how the game should be played than someone who has never played It.

Personally I think the game was better in the 1990’s. When the 10 metre rule was introduced, it offered more room for players to move, but it also means the collisions are much harder now. The other quite noticeable thing is that many modern first graders can’t tackle properly. How often do you see a player attempt a front on tackle aiming at the hips of the ball carrier and put his head in the wrong place? I.E. not to one side.

With the dominant tackle so important these days it leads to 3 man tackles where it can easily go wrong but teams do it because they get more latitude before having to release the tackle.

I have believed for a long time that the dominant tackle should be a legs tackle, like we used to see one of our all time greats (Turvey), make numerous times.
A legs tackle should be classified as a Dominant Tackle, it would fix so many things. There are plenty that agree.

Always a Bulldog

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe a 100kg max weight limit, it would improve game alot, them well over 6foot4 tall guys would have to be very lean. Keep same rules.

• Haha
Reactions: jof

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Gotta love all these lawyer and legal assholes seeking the dollars to sue and etc lol...

It is a contact sport, the players know what they are in for hence the large pay packets, it is not any different to working in the mines where death can be around any moment hence the large pay packets too

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It will always be accepted that there is a certain amount of risk. The game has always responded to situations that create too much risk. Contested scrums were ended in part due to risk, lifting a player over the horizontal went from being regarded a great tackle to being sanctioned because of too much risk.

Saying that the sport will no longer look like RL if they change the kick off is the same as saying that it no longer looks like RL because they changed the scrum. It is slippery slope fallacy stuff. With all the CTE stuff that has been coming out over the last 5 years it is important that RL respond and make appropriate changes where there is too much risk. Is there too much risk at kick offs? I don't know, I haven't seen any data that evaluates that. There has been a few KO's this season, but that might be unusual, maybe there won't be any more for the rest of the season.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seems to be just a couple of journos trying to push this move. Doesn't seem to have any traction, momentum or support.

We need to stop changing the game. It's been changed too much already... and generally not for the better.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the rule changes the NRL made like 6 again and no more scrums etc will come back to bite them in the back side.
The NRL wanted the game to be faster and have more fatigue in it, but all this has done is increased head knocks and injuries.
When you are fatigued, you lose technique and you are far more likely to make mistakes.
I remember Benji Marshall said when you are fatigued and the first that goes is your footwork when making a tackle. You take short cuts and that is when you are most vulnerable for concussion.
I am telling you all, the game will get sued one day and it will come back to this.
As if Lawyers are not already licking lips now.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Watch them copy the NFL and bring in the fair catch rule.

OR

Copy Union and replace it with a drop kick.