News Are we screwed? Discuss...

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rainwater is no longer safe to drink anywhere on Earth, due to 'forever chemicals' linked to cancer, study suggests
Morgan McFall-Johnsen
Aug 13, 2022, 7:30 PM

young girl carries bucket of water from a lineup of full buckets

Eight-year-old Chelsea Symonds carries a bucket of collected rainwater in her family's yard in the drought-affected town of Murrurundi, New South Wales, Australia, on February 17, 2020. Loren Elliott/Reuters
  • Rainwater across Earth contains levels of "forever chemicals" unsafe to drink, a study suggests.
  • Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), linked to cancer, are pervading homes and environments.
  • PFAS levels across the planet are unsafe, and the substances must be restricted, researchers say.

Rainwater is no longer safe to drink anywhere on Earth by US contamination guidelines, according to a team of environmental scientists.

That's because rainwater across the planet now contains hazardous chemicals called per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). In a paper published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology on August 2, researchers at University of Stockholm, which has been studying PFAS for a decade, found evidence that these substances have spread throughout the entire atmosphere, leaving no place untouched.

There are thousands of PFAS, all human-made, used in food packaging, water-repellant clothing, furniture, carpets, nonstick coating on pots and pans, fire-extinguishing foams, electronics, and some shampoos and cosmetics. During manufacturing and daily use, they can be released into the air. They also leach into ocean water and get aerosolized in sea spray. From there, they spread through the atmosphere and fall back to Earth in rain.

They're often called "forever chemicals" because they linger for a long time without breaking down, allowing them to build up in people, animals, and environments.

PFAS have been found in Antarctica and in Arctic sea ice. Their prevalence across the planet is a hazard to human health, since peer-reviewed studies have linked them to some cancers, decreased fertility, reduced vaccine response, high cholesterol, and developmental delays in children.
Like microplastics, it is difficult to identify all the long-lasting health effects of PFAS exposure because they include so many different compounds and they are so prevalent in the environment. The new paper suggests that everybody on Earth is at risk.
Under EPA limits, 'rainwater everywhere would be judged unsafe to drink'

Perhaps the most notorious among these substances are perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS). In June, based on new evidence about health impacts, the Environmental Protection Agency significantly tightened its guidelines for how much PFOA and PFOS can safely be present in drinking water.
Previously, EPA had set the acceptable level for both substances at 70 parts per trillion. The new guidelines cut that by a factor of up to 17,000 — limiting safe levels to 0.004 parts per trillion for PFOA and 0.02 parts per trillion for PFOS.

The University of Stockholm researchers assessed the levels of PFOA, PFOS, and two other PFAS in rainwater and soil across the planet, and compared them to regulators' limits. Both substances' levels in rainwater "often greatly exceed" EPA limits, the study authors concluded.
"Based on the latest US guidelines for PFOA in drinking water, rainwater everywhere would be judged unsafe to drink," Ian Cousins, the lead author of the study and professor at the University of Stockholm Department of Environmental Science, said in a press release.
"Although in the industrial world we don't often drink rainwater [directly], many people around the world expect it to be safe to drink, and it supplies many of our drinking water sources," Cousins added.
The paper also found that soil across the globe was "ubiquitously contaminated" with PFAS. Because PFAS persist for so long and cycle through the planet's oceans, atmosphere, and soil so effectively, the researchers expect levels will continue to be dangerously high.

Ultimately, the researchers conclude that PFAS have exceeded the safe "planetary boundary" for human health.
"It is vitally important that PFAS uses and emissions are rapidly restricted," they wrote.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We don't really know how bad it will be as research is still pretty early and PFAS is hard to study. There is definitely enough links to cause concern but at ths stage it just kind of feels like another thing to add to the pile of things that will kill us including every else I consume everyday.

The interesting part is that there appears to be a sort of Tobacco/Oil Company thing going on. Similar to how Tobacco companies knew about the dangers of smoking and covered it up, and Oil companies knew about the impact CO2 would have on the climate, and covered it up. Apparently Textile companies knew about the potential dangers of PFAS in their products and covered it up.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, we are screwed
It is inevitable humans will alter the planet to the point where they will no no longer be able to live on it, just how long that takes who knows.
More importantly, Can we beat Parra on the weekend?
Honestly it's getting pretty dark. I thought there was hope for us but now I'm not sure if we can survive. There's a chance though. If we can score early and control their attack, there is hope.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Meh. Everything is a poison - its all about the dose. And in this instance, there's a bucket load of different PFAS/PFOS chemicals and you can detect them at very, very low amounts. So you sort of have some PFAS has been detected in rainwater and some PFAS can cause cancer. So makes a great headline.

U got carpet or a lounge? Chances are you're sitting on PFAS every day.

Rainwater? Personally, if its looked after to enhealth guidelines (google enhealth/rainwater) would drink it every day of the week. Except I don't drink water, only beer. But would happily fill my bong up with it. And thats saying something.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Honestly it's getting pretty dark. I thought there was hope for us but now I'm not sure if we can survive. There's a chance though. If we can score early and control their attack, there is hope.
Im not so confident. I hope it literally rains cats and dogs to give us an advantage.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Meh. Everything is a poison - its all about the dose. And in this instance, there's a bucket load of different PFAS/PFOS chemicals and you can detect them at very, very low amounts. So you sort of have some PFAS has been detected in rainwater and some PFAS can cause cancer. So makes a great headline.

U got carpet or a lounge? Chances are you're sitting on PFAS every day.

Rainwater? Personally, if its looked after to enhealth guidelines (google enhealth/rainwater) would drink it every day of the week. Except I don't drink water, only beer. But would happily fill my bong up with it. And thats saying something.
Gracias… and wish I had more carpet. House is tiled downstairs. Cold AF.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Gracias… and wish I had more carpet. House is tiled downstairs. Cold AF.
There's some nice reading on 3M and cancer clusters in Michigan. Great story of how 3M was a great local employer and offered a standard of living to staff that was spectacular - but at the same time the chemicals they made (PFAS included) were causing havoc with local kids in particular.

Legacy issues are always difficult but two things come to mind. 1) NICNAS approves chemical use in Australia. Basically, if you swim in the stuff and don't die, you're good to go. Pretty lax imv. 2) Upon formation of the EU, they wanted to regulate human health outcomes for something like 15000 chemicals made and used in the EU above a certain volume (think it was 10 tonnes - was a while ago). Bayer told the EU the cost of doing this would drive them bankrupt so they would just move all their factories out of the EU. They also argued these chemicals had been around for years. the EU bent over and removed the requirement.

And my favourite. Union Carbide at Homebush. We kicked them out because the contamination it was causing was epic (and the site eventually became part of the Olympic centre). So they moved to India. Six months later - we had the Bhopal disaster. Its why if you buy real estate over that way - think you've been had. What under the ground there is pretty scary shit.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Our water, thankfully, is better than most other parts of the world. Sure countries like the USA and Canada might be on par with us, but when you compare our water to that of the majority of Europe, Asia, Africa and South America, we've got it good. State laws require all the water we drink (here in NSW) to have fluoride added to it AFTER it has been filtered, and this ensures the water we consume is not only safe, but also healthy.

When I was in Europe, I would only ever drink water from the bottle - however the exception to this was when I was mountain bike riding through Tytol, Austria. I had no problem filling my bottle up with water falling from the rocks. It was from the melted snow coming from the alps (this was also in Summer, mind you), and without doubt, it was the freshest, tastiest and best water I have ever had in my life.

1660688620713.png

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There's some nice reading on 3M and cancer clusters in Michigan. Great story of how 3M was a great local employer and offered a standard of living to staff that was spectacular - but at the same time the chemicals they made (PFAS included) were causing havoc with local kids in particular.

Legacy issues are always difficult but two things come to mind. 1) NICNAS approves chemical use in Australia. Basically, if you swim in the stuff and don't die, you're good to go. Pretty lax imv. 2) Upon formation of the EU, they wanted to regulate human health outcomes for something like 15000 chemicals made and used in the EU above a certain volume (think it was 10 tonnes - was a while ago). Bayer told the EU the cost of doing this would drive them bankrupt so they would just move all their factories out of the EU. They also argued these chemicals had been around for years. the EU bent over and removed the requirement.

And my favourite. Union Carbide at Homebush. We kicked them out because the contamination it was causing was epic (and the site eventually became part of the Olympic centre). So they moved to India. Six months later - we had the Bhopal disaster. Its why if you buy real estate over that way - think you've been had. What under the ground there is pretty scary shit.
I’ve heard that before about Homebush.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score

I rented in Rhodes for a while, a few years back. The real estate actually warned us not to try to grow anything edible in the ground there. >.<

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yes that's true - the old gas works was there. But there was no where else to build Sydney Olympic Park in this great city of ours so they turned what was essentially Sydney's wasteland into a trillion-dollar sporting hub.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I rented in Rhodes for a while, a few years back. The real estate actually warned us not to try to grow anything edible in the ground there. >.<
That engulfs Brealfast Point too.

I guess Nasheed was right all along.

1660692478800.png

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I use to catch a train to work late 80's early 90's from the Hills district into town. Youd look out whilst crossing the bridge over Parramatta river at Rhoads and think the place looked like Chernobyl, that there was no way anyone could live near or visit the area.