Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fox Sports Lab stats show Tim Lafai could be the bargain buy of the NRL next year
Simon Brunsdon with Fox Sports Lab FOX SPORTS December 07, 2015 7:25PM

ATTENTION all NRL coaches!

Are you after some cheap points in 2016? Wondering where to snatch those extra tries from without breaking the bank?

Look no further, because Tim Lafai is on the market.

The 24-year-old centre is a free agent as of last week, when he was granted a release from Canterbury on the back of Will Hopoate’s move to Belmore.

Both played centre for the majority of the 2015 season and there’s some glaring statistics that point to Lafai as the better value buy of the two.

Over the past two seasons the young Samoan international has returned 19 tries for the Bulldogs, from a total 45 appearances.

Hopoate, who has played mainly centre as well as spells at fullback for the Eels, has managed just seven tries in 38 games for Parramatta during that same period.

It’s a far cry from his pre-Mormon mission form of 2011, when a baby-faced Hopoate ran in 14 tries from 19 games for Manly, playing on the wing for a premiership side.

The Eels snagged him on a lucrative deal when he returned to rugby league in 2014, but the club failed to get the bang for their buck that Lafai now offers.

The try-scoring centre should be in hot demand for 2016 and beyond for any club looking to bolster their backline.

His value in attack is clear with a quick glance at his statistics from the past two years.

Aside from the points he’s put on the board, Lafai has also returned more linebreaks (25 to 13), more linebreak assists (10 to 7), try assists (10 to 5) and offloads (45 to 8) than Hopoate.

Hopoate also misses more tackles than Lafai, although the former wins the battle of average metres and also commits less errors.

If the Bulldogs end up paying a portion of his salary in 2016, Lafai is shaping as one of the great bargain buys of the year.

St George Illawarra, Penrith and Parramatta are thought to be leading the race for Lafai’s signature, while Gold Coast could be an option at good odds.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor hinted he would make a play for Lafai this week.

“I haven’t spoken to Tim or his management,” McGregor told The Daily Telegraph.

“Obviously my recruitment will look at that (this week) because that has only now just come about.”

The Panthers are also hunting for someone to fill the hole left by the sudden departure of Jamal Idris.

Peta Hiku could prove a big player in deciding Lafai’s future, with the Manly centre-utility also on the lookout for a new club.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...he-nrl-next-year/story-e6frf3pu-1227636963004

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey Mitch are you trying to put Lafai's manager out of a job??? You got me convinced,I'll get the ball rolling I bid $1. :p

Let's face it Mitch going by Bulldogs09's thread Lafai bitched out the moment his FG spot was no longer guaranteed.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes and Bulldogs have been premiership contenders whilst the eels were crap. That also influences a players performance.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very hard to compare the two due to the differences in the teams. Parra mainly went to semi's edge for points. The decisions been made now and nothing can be done.

This is a real test for Des, he made a decision and if he can get Hoppa back to his best that's great. If he can't there'll be real question marks over his decisions with recruitment and retention.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
8 offloads? ****ing pathetic

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Dudoate ... yeah yeah what an awesome signing.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
8 offloads? ****ing pathetic
Yeah I know 45 off loads seems impressive, it's a shame most of the off loads were to players in worse positions. I would like to see Semi Radradra's stats compared to the rest of the Parra side now that would be Parra pethetic. You are only as good as the team you play for, Radradra being the obvious exclusion because without him Parra have absolutely no attack.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Seriously gotta wonder if monkeys are running the recruitment department the dogs.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I know 45 off loads seems impressive, it's a shame most of the off loads were to players in worse positions. I would like to see Semi Radradra's stats compared to the rest of the Parra side now that would be Parra pethetic. You are only as good as the team you play for, Radradra being the obvious exclusion because without him Parra have absolutely no attack.
I don't think Takairangi gets enough praise, he set plenty of tries up for Semi, never really did too much wrong by memory. Corey Norman, decent player, gone ahead in leaps and bounds. The Sandow melodrama definitely hurt them in 2015.

They have made great signings in positions they needed filled, really wouldn't surprise me to see them do well.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fox Sports Lab stats show Tim Lafai could be the bargain buy of the NRL next year
Simon Brunsdon with Fox Sports Lab FOX SPORTS December 07, 2015 7:25PM

ATTENTION all NRL coaches!

Are you after some cheap points in 2016? Wondering where to snatch those extra tries from without breaking the bank?

Look no further, because Tim Lafai is on the market.

The 24-year-old centre is a free agent as of last week, when he was granted a release from Canterbury on the back of Will Hopoate’s move to Belmore.

Both played centre for the majority of the 2015 season and there’s some glaring statistics that point to Lafai as the better value buy of the two.

Over the past two seasons the young Samoan international has returned 19 tries for the Bulldogs, from a total 45 appearances.

Hopoate, who has played mainly centre as well as spells at fullback for the Eels, has managed just seven tries in 38 games for Parramatta during that same period.

It’s a far cry from his pre-Mormon mission form of 2011, when a baby-faced Hopoate ran in 14 tries from 19 games for Manly, playing on the wing for a premiership side.

The Eels snagged him on a lucrative deal when he returned to rugby league in 2014, but the club failed to get the bang for their buck that Lafai now offers.

The try-scoring centre should be in hot demand for 2016 and beyond for any club looking to bolster their backline.

His value in attack is clear with a quick glance at his statistics from the past two years.

Aside from the points he’s put on the board, Lafai has also returned more linebreaks (25 to 13), more linebreak assists (10 to 7), try assists (10 to 5) and offloads (45 to 8) than Hopoate.

Hopoate also misses more tackles than Lafai, although the former wins the battle of average metres and also commits less errors.

If the Bulldogs end up paying a portion of his salary in 2016, Lafai is shaping as one of the great bargain buys of the year.

St George Illawarra, Penrith and Parramatta are thought to be leading the race for Lafai’s signature, while Gold Coast could be an option at good odds.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor hinted he would make a play for Lafai this week.

“I haven’t spoken to Tim or his management,” McGregor told The Daily Telegraph.

“Obviously my recruitment will look at that (this week) because that has only now just come about.”

The Panthers are also hunting for someone to fill the hole left by the sudden departure of Jamal Idris.

Peta Hiku could prove a big player in deciding Lafai’s future, with the Manly centre-utility also on the lookout for a new club.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl... . We just addressed our goal kicking problem

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I do believe bulldogs 09 and his thread however who's to say that the reply from the "bulldogs" wasn't full of shit and an arse saving excuse of an explanation. What did we expect them to say??? We are fcuked or we made a mistake or please members don't resign with us next season. Off course they are going to lump the blame on lafai.
so lafai gets threatened with reserve grade but she Rex and Perret continually get picked in fg seriously ffs who are we kidding

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
This is totally fuct. Des playing favourites again :(

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Well done des great to see we got hopa instead of Roberts

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious what has happened lately. After last years ordinary season Lafai was told that he was not the number one choice for the right centre spot. Instead of knuckling down and working for the spot his management team shopped him around and could see he would get as good a deal if not better and in first grade. The Hopoate signing was happening either way.
I reckon we are better off the way it's ended up. Why do you think most of our tries came down the left this year.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I want to know why didn't Des play Lafai on the left? Morris handles the right like a champion in rep teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.