Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Look at the end of the day all the Panthers are experiencing is what every other club (bar Rorters, Storm and Souths) has had to deal with after tasting success. Unfortunately it's the way it is and has been for as long as I've been watching. It's just that it's a new feeling for them and good on them. I genuinely wanted them to win last year! Does it make it right? No but until the NRL actually shows interest in solving some of RL's problems it will continue.

That being said, Panthers acting butt hurt for losing a player they aren't looking at giving a run in the foreseeable future and is 4th string is a little boring. RL has always had an un-written rule IMO of giving a talented kid a chance and if that club can't then don't stand in the way of him doing it. Release the kid and let's all move on.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frustrated Panthers chief executive Brian Fletcher wants the NRL to examine salary cap concessions for development clubs whose best juniors are poached by rivals, claiming "something is wrong with the system" after Matt Burton's defection to Canterbury.

Trent Barrett's raid on the club he helped to this year's grand final on the back of a mesmerising 17-game winning run landed its biggest blow, with Burton signing a three-year deal to join Canterbury from 2022.

The Panthers won't consider an early release for Burton, whose desire to play in the halves is being blocked by State of Origin squad members Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai. Penrith coach Ivan Cleary has plans to use him as either a centre or edge back-rower while providing cover for his star playmakers.

Burton is also on relatively meagre money next season, meaning the Panthers would gain little salary cap relief by agreeing to an early exit. But the club, whose rejuvenation has primarily been built on the back of a long-term and relentless development program in regional NSW, has now lost two of its brightest prospects in the space of a fortnight.

Fullback Daine Laurie, whose path into Penrith's top side also has obstacles, will link with the Tigers in 2022.

Burton, who has impressed in six NRL games and was considered one of the game's most in-demand free agents, and Laurie will wear Penrith colours for another 12 months before joining rival clubs.
The Panthers have already flagged cutting their spending on development given the COVID pandemic and the news of Burton's exit will only bring greater focus on the cost of building the most powerful junior nursery in the game.

"It's disappointing for our fans when we've brought [Burton] up from 17 years of age and had coaches coaching him to get his skills where they are, and to have him snatched out of your hands and get no reward for the efforts we've put in to promoting the game [is hard to take]," Fletcher said.

"There's something wrong with the system. It doesn't encourage anybody to have a pathway system and development system like we've got.

Why would you have one when they get to the potential of playing NRL, someone comes and grabs them? Hopefully we've got a few more coming through the pipeline, but there should be some compensation there."

Canterbury's financial muscle was also a large factor for Burton, who will partner Kyle Flanagan in the halves at Belmore. Barrett is also about to welcome Nick Cotric and Jack Hetherington into his 2021 squad.

For the minor premiers, though, their roster is already under siege with the club planning further talks this week to convince boom centre Stephen Crichton to stay. Penrith have already tabled offers for Luai and Isaah Yeo, and any loss from that trio will be considered a major blow after their record-breaking season.

Their fans are the latest to express displeasure with the NRL's trading frenzy, which in the past fortnight has seen Burton, Laurie and Newcastle-bound Jake Clifford announce deals to move in 2022 while under contract to their current club for 2021.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you think they are just playing politics 84 to squeeze us or is the old man and his mates deadset serious.
It is embarrassing what are they thinking,get with the times.
I’m not sure they don’t really need to squeeze us much more they have something we want and they know it. They have a point to an extent about compensation for developing players but they are pretty naive if they think no teams were ever going to be coming after their players. Instead of bitching about other clubs maybe they should have been more proactive in locking up their off contract players before a situation like this arose.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers chances of compensation are nil,very hard in a free market,to stop players or managers negotiating in the interest of their clients,and if u go back a few years Panthers were one of the worst offenders,in burtons case the guy is 20 years old,naturally he wants to move forward,and can’t do it we’re he currently is,and especially when the panthers offer apparently,fell well short,of the other suitors.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FMD another article about Penrith having a whinge. I get it they're pissed off at losing gun. I'll be stunned if he's not the NSW 5/8 in 3 years time but luckily for Penrith they already have a NSW 5/8 in their side. Yes they fucked up by choosing Luai over Burton but we made the same mistake in 04 so maybe the football gods are paying us back

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not sure they don’t really need to squeeze us much more they have something we want and they know it. They have a point to an extent about compensation for developing players but they are pretty naive if they think no teams were ever going to be coming after their players. Instead of bitching about other clubs maybe they should have been more proactive in locking up their off contract players before a situation like this arose.
Your right they know we want him to play for us next season badly,
It just seems like a lot of noise and attention regarding Burton for some reason.
For mine it could be either money or perhaps the fact TB is involved.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Public message for riffs ceo Brian Fletcher: Dogs are more than happy to compensate you for Burton to come over next year. Lewis and Wakeham gift wrapped and delivered to your front door free of charge. If offer accepted in the next 14 days we'll include Nappa free as well.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Panthers get nothing out of a transfer fee and they lose close one of the best promising halves in the competition as a backup. They want something in exchange and if I was in the same position I'd be saying the same thing. They gain nothing out of releasing Burton to us for nothing/transfer fee (I hope they do it tho, just I see their stance).
What did we get out of releasing
CHN ?
Barba?
Hannat?

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I feel your pain penriff but the doggies have had their fair share of developing players only to see them succeed and come back to hurt us in rival colours. The ones that really need to pay are mostly the ones at the top of the league in the last 10 years. Roosters, Storm, Sharks, These are the buy a comp teams that stick out.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Having a system that rewards player development would be good for the game. Time to stop being thin skinned because it seems like Fletcher is having a go at us specifically and get behind this. It would really get people's attention if we came out and said "we agree".

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not as if Burton grew up and was raised in Penrith. He never played for a Penrith district team coming thru
It’s got nothing to do with him being a junior,
There must be some reason reason why all this drama.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we want Burton early there are only 4 options I can see:

1. Massive compensation - $500K+
2. Player swap. Would need to be a gun junior in a position they need. Maybe Schoup if they need a centre or BBO if they need a half. I can't see them being interested in any of our FG players (besides maybe Avo)
3. We take one of their duds - Whare or Mansour - either at full freight or very close to it
4. They loan Burton to us

With the exception of the first option, none of these options are appealing to us but it's the price we have to pay if we want Burton here early as Penrith have all the power. The kid is that good that I would do it because it'll give us a head start for our 22 premiership assault

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHN ?
Barba?
Hannat?
Plenty
Players who didn’t want to play for us anymore or issues that we couldn’t fix.
Lets look straight ahead because our club is back in a good space again.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHN ?
Barba?
Hannat?
Jonathan Thurston?
Willie Mason?
Braith Anasta?

FMD what a sook.
Does he realise what an idiot he is making of himself trying to say they are the first club to have their players leave for a better offer.