Rumour Matterson set to link with dolphins

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins are reportedly set to secure the signature of gun Eels back-rower Ryan Matterson.

Matterson, who is set to make his Origin debut next Wednesday, is off contract at the end of the 2022 season and has been one of the Dolphins’ top targets.

The Dolphins have already signed a number of forwards in key positions, but are set to land Matterson, according to WWOS.

If Matterson were to join Wayne Bennett’s outfit at the Dolphins it would spell disaster for Parramatta who are losing Isaiah Papali’i to the Tigers, Marata Niukore to the Warriors, Ray Stone to the Dolphins and Reed Mahoney to the Bulldogs.

The Dolphins have been slow to build their roster ahead of their debut season, however Matterson’s signature would be a major coup.

So far the Dolphins have managed to secure Felise Kaufusi, Jesse Bromwich, Kenny Bromwich (Storm), Ray Stone (Eels), Valynce Te Whare (rugby union), Jamayne Isaako (Broncos), Euan Aitken (Warriors), Tom Gilbert (Cowboys), Robert Jennings (Panthers), Edrick Lee (Knights), Connelly Lemuelu (Cowboys) and Mark Nicholls (Rabbitohs).

Matterson has played 130 games in stints at the Roosters, Tigers, and Eels since making his NRL debut in 2016.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It's not official yet so he can still sign elsewhere but it looks like he'll join the Dolphins.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Look at dolphins latest Instagram story. Its definitely him.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eels will get Crichton
Maybe the loss of all the Parra players for next year was just part of a master plan to sign Haas?!? Though to honest I think it is giving those 2 header sister bangers too much credit..

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe the loss of all the Parra players for next year was just part of a master plan to sign Haas?!? Though to honest I think it is giving those 2 header sister bangers too much credit..
haas is a middle and they already have 3 expensive middles

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah I don’t think they’d have the cap space. Of the players they are losing Mahoney would have been on less than Hodgson who’s replacing him. Papali’i might be playing like an elite player but he wasn’t on much. Matterson wouldn’t have been on more than Haas and as others have said they have signed 3 middles long term.
A player who would suit them would be Harawira-Naera. Would cost less than Matterson but at his best can play at a similar level

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
How would u be if an eels fan. While other clubs are trying to get players in to be a top 8 side, eels are a top 8 side shedding players so they can make the bottom 8. Mahoney, Matterson, Niukore, Papalii. Not just fringe players those.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Matterson does not want to end up at the fins

Malla

Reaction score
Parra making that offer surely means they lose some players.

Dylan Brown surely gone. Mitch Moses might not get the mil he wants either.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
They’re willing to give this $ to Matterson but wouldn’t fork it out for Mahoney? I wonder how Reed feels about it.