The "HOW THE HELL'' In Sport Thread

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOW THE HELL can it be that if a man like me supports 3 of the countries biggest & most powerful clubs in this countries 3 leading football competitions that he gets no glory or even some supporter satisfaction for so long.

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs - Was arguably always in the top 4 strongest Rugby League Clubs in the world since my existence.
Last Premiership 19 years ago in 2004
Last Played finals 7 years ago in 2016
Most recent Wooden spoon 2 years ago in 2021
Current Season Outlook - Looking to avoid the wooden spoon at this stage.

Carlton Football Club - Arguably the biggest & most powerful AFL club in History or at very least in the top 2.
Last Premiership 28 years ago in 1995
Last Played Finals 10 years ago in 2013 technically after finishing 9th when Essendon were stood down due to the ASADA scandal.
Last qualified in the top 8 12 years ago in 2011
After not winning a wooden spoon for 108 years of Australian Rules Competition, they went on to win 5 between 2002 & 2018.
Most recent Wooden Spoon 5 years ago.
Current Season Outlook - Crashing towards the bottom 4 with the most inept game style in existence.

Melbourne Victory Football Club - The Biggest & most powerful A-League club in existence.
Last Premiership 6 years ago in 2018
Last Played Finals in 2022
Current Season - Avoided the wooden spoon by the difference of a Draw.

HOW THE HELL DOES THIS HAPPEN??????

And yes I know the answer is because they are all currently shit-house, but how the hell can 3 of the most powerful clubs in the land be that way for so long???

(I didn't know how or where else to vent my frustration, but I thought creating this thread my help more people than just me.)

Last edited:

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Carlton and Dogs are very much similar. Only difference is Carlton are tied with Bombers for most premierships whilst we are tied 3rd most for premierships with Manly. Still tho very similar stance of clubs

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carlton and Dogs are very much similar. Only difference is Carlton are tied with Bombers for most premierships whilst we are tied 3rd most for premierships with Manly. Still tho very similar stance of clubs
One big difference with what is happening right now at both clubs is

- Cameron Ciraldo is not making excuses for performance or results.
This gives me long term hope for CC & the Club & he will be here for years to come.

- Michael Voss is continually wrapping his players for their effort after "Diabolical & Inept" performances.
This tells me that after the Blues get whipped by the Pies next week Voss is gone & this once great club will have a reason for another excuse.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With our club it largely comes down to having a handful of years where it was mismanaged. Greenturd seemed like an astute CEO at the time, but he started our slide when he thought being smart financially was of help to the club.

We built our success on the back of investing heavily into our production line. One of the first things he did was deciding that it's no use investing in juniors if other clubs might just poach them. He let decades of talent go in the scouting and coaching departments and a few years later we were having to pay heavily for players that we were recently producing in bulk. Not all of our juniors were stars, but if we got 2-3 years out of an average NRL ready junior through their loyalty at a cheap price, it meant we could retain the game breakers and cycle through the next round of squad fillers cheaply.

Once our production line was killed off we were paying more for "reasonable" squad fillers and had to let game breakers go as a result. It took way too long and a couple of admins going stupid when they sensed the axe was going to fall to stop the slide.

When Dib and co signed Foran and Woods to ridiculous contracts to try and save their asses it basically threw us in a deep hole we're just getting out of now. I just hope the next few years sees us recapture our aura as a club.

The other sports you follow are shit quite frankly. Cut your disappointment by 2/3 by stopping the support of those shit codes.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Bulldogs
Crusaders
All Blacks
Arsenal
Barcalona
Dallas Cowboys
McLaren

Take out the ABs, Crusaders and maybe Barca and I have slim pickings too.

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We're tied 5th. Dragons & Tigers are ahead of us.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
With our club it largely comes down to having a handful of years where it was mismanaged. Greenturd seemed like an astute CEO at the time, but he started our slide when he thought being smart financially was of help to the club.

We built our success on the back of investing heavily into our production line. One of the first things he did was deciding that it's no use investing in juniors if other clubs might just poach them. He let decades of talent go in the scouting and coaching departments and a few years later we were having to pay heavily for players that we were recently producing in bulk. Not all of our juniors were stars, but if we got 2-3 years out of an average NRL ready junior through their loyalty at a cheap price, it meant we could retain the game breakers and cycle through the next round of squad fillers cheaply.

Once our production line was killed off we were paying more for "reasonable" squad fillers and had to let game breakers go as a result. It took way too long and a couple of admins going stupid when they sensed the axe was going to fall to stop the slide.

When Dib and co signed Foran and Woods to ridiculous contracts to try and save their asses it basically threw us in a deep hole we're just getting out of now. I just hope the next few years sees us recapture our aura as a club.

The other sports you follow are shit quite frankly. Cut your disappointment by 2/3 by stopping the support of those shit codes.
Greenberg was the first big mistake. He was a corporate type, whose only interest was in furthering his own career. He had the job now held by Gus, and he signed Des and gave him carte blanche to do what he liked. Des was a decent coach (not a World beater), who wanted to be the junior pathways guru (which was why we didn't have any), the recruitment supremo, and the salary cap czar, all rolled into one. Greenberg knew nothing about the game and was quite content to let Des do his job (very badly) for him. He was succeeded by Raelene, whose only talent was the ability to spend large amounts of other people's money, and who also knew nothing about football, She was happy to let Des do her job for her. The rest is history.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're tied 5th. Dragons & Tigers are ahead of us.
The St George Dragons & the Balmain Tigers in their original form no longer exist. We only jump them via default in the category of "Existing Clubs".

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The St George Dragons & the Balmain Tigers in their original form no longer exist. We only jump them via default in the category of "Existing Clubs".
Whether they exist or not they still won more than us. Until we win more than them we can't claim to be 3rd.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Outside of Waratahs nailing a title ten years ago and the cricket team winning world cups haven’t seen any of my teams win as an adult

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs
Crusaders
All Blacks
Arsenal
Barcalona
Dallas Cowboys
McLaren

Take out the ABs, Crusaders and maybe Barca and I have slim pickings too.
Bulldogs - Rebuild
Hawthorn - Rebuild
Tottenham - Rebuild
San Antonio - Rebuild
NSW Blues - Fkn shite

All my teams are bollocks and apart from Tottenham, used to be up there every year competing for titles.

Swings and roundabouts.... Maybe in 5 years they will all be good again.
Maybe they won't :tonguewink: