demetriou finally sacked by souths

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Rabbitohs confirm Demetriou departure, Hornby to take charge

South Sydney have confirmed the departure of Jason Demetriou as head coach, effective immediately, with Ben Hornby to take charge of the side as interim head coach.

The Rabbitohs announced in a statement that a "less-than-satisfactory series of results over the 2023 and 2024 seasons" had led to the need to go in a "new direction with its coaching" for the rest of the season.

Rabbitohs CEO, Blake Solly, said: “The Board and management feel that now is the time to make a change to the leadership of our football program in terms of the head coaching role.

There is no doubting Jason’s work ethic or his drive for success, but unfortunately that success has not been forthcoming over the past 12 months.
Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly
“We wish Jason, his wife Natalie and his daughters the very best of luck in the future and we thank him for his service to our club over the past five-and-a-half years.”

Demetriou joined South Sydney in 2018 as an assistant coach, following Wayne Bennett from Brisbane, with a succession plan announced in 2020 that would see Demetriou take over as coach at the end of the 2021 season.

In his first full season as head coach, the Rabbitohs earned their fifth straight preliminary final appearance before being beaten by eventual premiers Penrith.

In 2023, the Rabbitohs enjoyed a strong start to the campaign but fell away badly over the second half of the season – winning just four matches after Round 11 – as well as just one game through the opening eight rounds of 2024.

Ben Hornby will take the role as interim head coach at the Rabbitohs.©NRL Photos
Following his retirement in 2012, Hornby began his coaching career with the Dragons development system before progressing through to the first grade ranks.

He joined the Rabbitohs in 2020 as a development coach before making the transition to assistant coach in 2021 under Bennett.

Always a Bulldog

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m sad to see him go tbh, I was quietly confident that Demetriou was the right man to takes
Think they're still dreaming of getting Wayne boy back....but some at Souffs want no part of him

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Great fuckin news. Couldn't of happened to a better cocksucker. I just hope they fuckin stay at the bottom of the ladder for the next 5 years. Fuckin pride of the league my ass. You mean the the club the gets away with fuckin murder and no one says shit about. It's great to see these fucks demise into a shriveled nutsack

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Sam Burgess was right, he made his bed by playing favourites. Will be interesting to see how the favourites respond on the field

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If Sam Burgess was right, he made his bed by playing favourites. Will be interesting see how the favourites respond on the field
They won't, they know they run the club now and no one can say shit to them

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really get the sense that he was somewhat hands tied, but at the same time he should have said fuck it, it's my career on the line, Latrell you're a centre.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While he was there, it kept Burgess away from headlines and the camera. I’m filthy .

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loath Souths and still don’t thing they should have rejoined the comp. But a bloke has lost his job today and that’s not something to gloat about, even if he has been on some incredible coin..

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Souths paraded Demetriou around and shielded him whilst blowing his trumpet as the next best thing. I really don't see how he ends up blamed for Souths demise. I feel there is just as much blame on the playing group not performing.

Currently seems like they have overrelied on a few key players (Latrell Mitchell, Damien Cook, Cody Walker, Burgess brothers). Take them out of the equation (or out of form) and it all falls to shit.

I'm actually wondering if perhaps Latrells head isn't actually in rugby league at the moment (much like how Chanel Harris-Tavita fell out of love for the game).

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I loath Souths and still don’t thing they should have rejoined the comp. But a bloke has lost his job today and that’s not something to gloat about, even if he has been on some incredible coin..
Not gloating but no sympathy as well. The **** made his bed sucking off Fatrell and Wanker.

Plus he is a piece of shit for awarding Fatrell trying to hurt JAC.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Souths paraded Demetriou around and shielded him whilst blowing his trumpet as the next best thing. I really don't see how he ends up blamed for Souths demise. I feel there is just as much blame on the playing group not performing.
No players are bigger than the club. I have no idea how Souffs work. Maybe the coach had pressure from up to to keep Mitchell & Walker in the side. So now over to Hornby and see what he can do with this trainwreck. Then who because Bennett won't leave Qld to walk into this mess.

Maybe Parra and Souffs should've just swapped coaches

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Never was good enough, wish they kept him till season end they’ll avoid the spoon now.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
JD isn't fully to blame for his demise I'm my opinion. He has a few big headed dick heads in his squad that think they are better than the game with their minds on their own political agenda rather than footy.

In saying that, he should have had the balls to drop those players to send a message to the rest of the squad.

If anything comes out of this, I think the League and majority of fans now see that Latrell is not a full back nor will he ever be. Slap him in the back row and see what happens.