OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 9 | Pre game | Bulldogs vs Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Shame about the forecast rain. I really think our expansive play on the left would’ve led to a couple long range tries but might be difficult if it’s wet
We still done it in the wet against roosters. Can definitely do it against the cats

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
ngl i’m a tad nervous about this one. more nervous than the storm and roosters game
It's after a bye, we're used to collapses from previous seasons, hence we know we should win but are really worried about a collapse (like the last 10 years) or inconsistency (because it's a new team).

Mann will always give 100%, Hutchison does seem to be a cool head that leads the team, Critta's leadership skills will show this game (in making sure our boys are switched on), Kikau never gives less than 100% and is fit, Tracey is Mr reliable.

Even though I can logically see that we have enough "leaders" in our team to keep that consistent effort, the emotions are still indecisive.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure about that, how many times have we lost when she was the Ref?
I still remember the calls she made in the bunker when we vsd Newcastle last year, they were abysmal and disliked her since then. Hope she redeems herself this saturday, we are in the top 8... don't refs usually favor the top 8 sides? :p

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm more inclined to think Ciraldo has been playing Hutchison so the side could spend the first 6-10 rounds focusing on defensive patterns. Having a solid defender like Hutchison has allowed the whole side to worry more about their own roles. Not having to move in or back pedal to cover a weaker defender like Sexton.
Especially with so many new faces.
Now Ciraldo has a defensive foundation in place, and some combinations working like left and right attacking plays, he can develop other parts of the emerging Bulldogs game plan.
For example he can experiment with options for his ball players. His halves and ball playing forwards.

Ciraldo will be regarded as the best coach in the game in 2-3 years. Especially once he gets some finals experience.
And I think the reason for that will be because he will change the way the game is played.

One way the game might change by having even more flexibility in team selections (especially bench and substitute selections) to adapt to the opposition before or during a game.
The standard bench of a utility plus two 110kg+ middle forwards and a second rower is not always what is needed.
Why not have a utility middle ball player (Hayward or Mann) plus two smaller but mobile forwards (Salmon and Morrin) and a utility half or outside back (like Taaffe)?
It might not be just because of depth or injuries Ciraldo has such a light bench, but because he thinks it delivers the best results.
With solid halves like Hutchison and Burton, and Kikau and Preston playing big minutes out wide, there is already more than enough size and toughness on the field to wear down an opposition.
With the Bulldogs playing the way they are, what sort of player will deliver more in the last 10-20 minutes of a tight game?
A big middle to do 6 hit ups and 6 tackles, or a Taaffe?
We may not be far away from regularly seeing only one big middle forward like Hughes or King on the field with the rest of the pack comprising Kikau, Preston, Mahoney, and smaller forwards like Salmon and Mann.
And Taaffe coming on for Hutchison.
There is no rule that says a 7 can't be replaced. Especially as Hutchison is not dominating games like a Cleary, Reynolds, Johnson or Hughes.
This could be the way the game is going and Ciraldo may be ahead of the curve.
It would explain why Ciraldo and Gould aren't too worried about buying an AFB, JFH or Haas. Or a dominating half for that matter.
They're over-priced and it is not the way the game is headed.
Watching how Ciraldo and his new-look side change rugby league over the next few years is going to be one of the best parts of being a Bulldog fan.
Sit back and enjoy.
I agree with your comment on forwards like AFB, JFH or Haas and dominating halves being over-priced.
We've only got 1 big middle forward in Hughes in our starting 13, King at 105kg is medium size for a prop.
I never said the bench has to be 4 forwards and have said previously a utility player like Taffee on the bench has merit.
The issue with Hutch is that he has little creativity, vision and slow to react in attack and defence, he's not the great defender that some on TK say as he's been exposed a number of times already. He is just a bigger body.
The way I see the game heading is that the repetitive bash and barge in the middle for 5 hit ups and bomb on the last is not sustainable and results in repeated injuries. It happened to our entire premiership winning forward pack in 05.
The better teams now make attacking plays earlier in the tackle count and a number of times within a set rather than the hail mary on the last. For that to work the team needs halves that have vision and can react to the opposition rather than robots executing premeditated plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.